Home

Kahurangi Cinema Entry/Lobby
Lounge Kahurangi bathroom
Kahurangi toilet Kahurangi kitchen for downstairs office
Kahurangi fire place Block laying around the curved addition
Kahurangi front stairs in construction Kahurangi upper story framing around curved addition

 

Art Deco Renovation (restoration & addition) - KAHURANGI, 1996

Originally a basic 3-bedroom government house built in 1939, the addition to the front of the house doubled the floor space, providing additional lounge/living dining areas and a Library upstairs, and a self-contained office area downstairs. As the addition completely enclosed the existing basement, the floor level of this area was lowered and terraced to create a 20-seat theatre, complete with stage, film and DVD/video capability.

As the house had been extensively and unsympathetically renovated in the 1970s and 80s, the 1996 project included reinstating original lights, switches, power points, joinery, cornices and other fittings to all areas of the house, with period furniture sourced and restored where necessary to re-create a totally 1930s atmosphere. Deco-style solid plaster fireplaces were reconstructed on-site to house the three gas fires installed.

The bathroom and kitchen in the office were created from scratch, using custom-designed cabinetry, reproduction tiles and restored period tapware and china . The office also features original bakelite door handles, light fittings, switches and power points throughout.

While the new façade of the house owes more to the American Modern movement than the original, somewhat severe Bauhaus-inspired design, the addition blends so seamlessly, both inside and out, with the existing house that it is virtually impossible to tell which part has been added.